February 16, 2012
Mental Health Action Team
Time of Meeting: 9:00-10:30am
Location: Disability Rights Wisconsin
Present: Luke Waldo (CHW), Trishla Shah (DRW), Gabriela Dieguez (SSCHC), Melissa Waldo (SSCHC), Leslie Davis (WPC), Martina Gollin-Graves (MHA), Sylvia Cortez (Milwaukee County BHD), Jeanette Arellano (NAMI)
Approval of previous meeting minutes: Motioned by Gabriela Dieguez
- Gabriela Dieguez will take minutes next meeting
- Dr. Kanter will be here to present status and feedback about the UWM NIMH Depression and Latino study next month.
- The MLHC Steering Committee toured the South Side Health Center and met with staff to discuss access for the Latino community. The staff at the center suggested there is a shortage of Latino health professionals. MHAT would like to find a way to connect Latino mental health professionals to prospective employers who may not be effectively recruiting bilingual and bicultural professionals.
- MHAT would like to have more presence at different community events. A brief MLHC and MHAT write up to distribute to the community would be useful.
- Nursing’s Voice meeting with Leslie: Steering committee will meet 3-4 times each year. Nursing’s Voice is looking to find six week placements for students. Leslie will write up a proposal as to what opportunities students could have at the clinic.
B. Mental Health Redesign Summit
- Status updates with Sylvia and Martina (who attended): 5 working groups in the Redesign; gave an overview on Quality Assurance and Cultural Competency working groups.
- Next steps: There is a need for diversity representation at the table for: Community Linkages, Person Centered Care, Continuum of Care, Workforce and Quality.
- MC3 CCIS and the Redesign could connect under the same structure.
C. 2012 Goals- Action Steps/Goal Committees
- MHAT Calendar: Everyone is connected in the calendar.
- Next Steps: Need more members to use the calendar by adding events such as: fundraisers, support groups, panels, community events, trainings etc.
- UWM NIMH Depression Study: Committee: Gabriela (lead)
- Next Steps: Dr. Kanter will present status at next meeting.
- Warmline: Committee: Leslie (lead), Melissa, Gabriela, Sylvia and Jeanette.
- Next Steps: Improve promotion of Warmline.
- New recruitment and training of Warmies.
- Speakers Bureau: Martina and Luke (leads).
- Next Steps: Create a list of topics that Bureau will cover.
- Recruit more speakers.
- Archiving presentations and materials in one place, potentially on MLHC website.
- Building knowledge around who is already presenting on mental health topics that relate to/affect the Latino community
- Bienestarmilwaukee.com: Committee: Trishla (lead), Luke, Leslie
- Update website
Next meeting: Thursday, March 15, 2012 from 9:00-10:30am, Disability Rights WI (NEW LOCATION FOR 2012)
Minutes completed and submitted by Jeanette Arellano.
The mission of the Milwaukee Latino Health Coalition is to improve the health and well-being of Latino communities by organizing power for social change.
Fatal error: Call to undefined function dbem_is_events_page() in /home/mlhc/public_html/wp-content/themes/mlhc/page.php on line 8