January 19, 2012
Mental Health Action Team
Time of Meeting: 9:00am-10:30am
Location of Meeting: Disability Rights Wisconsin
Present: Jeanette Arellano (NAMI), Sylvia Cortez (Milwaukee County BHD), Ursula Flores (TLS), Leslie Davis (Walker’s Point), Gabriela Dieguez (SSCHC), Luke Waldo (CHW), Martina Gollin-Graves (MHA/attended by phone) and Trishla Shah (DRW)
Approval of previous meeting minutes. Motion by Gabriela Dieguez and Sylvia Cortez.
Hispanic Nurses Association/Presentation Update
- Received two requests around same time for same event.
- Hispanic Nurse’s meets once per month to discuss community issues related to their work.
- Leslie attended the meeting and there were about fifteen people present. Froedtert seemed to be the most interested from Waukesha and Milwaukee.
- Leslie took the resource card and Warmline ads.
- Needs to be recorded on Speaker’s Bureau web site.
MHA Resource Guide
- Guide is at the printer and will be available in about a month.
- Cara was pleased with the product and MHA was in review of it recently.
“Pieces In My Own Voice” by NAMI
- NAMI will present this play at UWM February 15th, 1:30pm (UWM students) and 7:00pm (open to the public) UWM Union.
- UWM would like MHAT to participate in some way (possibly put out resource table). Is there anything else that they are looking for other than resource table?
- Kathie Eilers is coming to this presentation and going to participate in CIT.
- Martina will be making a presentation that same day on suicide prevention.
- Megan Gorski is the contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
MLHC STEERING COMMITTEE
- Steering Committee is going through significant changes.
- Juan Carlos was brought in to refocus, reinvigorate the coalition.
- 60% of membership has changed in 2011.
- Please address Luke with concerns first. Luke gave brief summaries about the backgrounds and said to refer to web site to see bios. This year they will try to continue to grow the SC more.
- Continue conversation with the health department especially because the Latino population is the largest growing—change needs to be made.
- SC is touring the Southside Health Center—there is a new grant and STI going on there. Want to stress importance of having bicultural and bilingual staff.
- Hope is to achieve this through a forum with the coalition, the health department and the HMOs.
- Want to have more influence on policy that affects Latinos.
- Will survey people to see what questions need to be asked and concerns to be addressed.
- Leslie poses the concern about all those that are uninsured, under insured and undocumented.
- Luke will share minutes from the health center tour.
Nursing’s Voice Update: there is a huge need for Latino(a) nurses in our community.
- Luke wants to nurture relationship with the grant that they have received. Leslie will be meeting with her on 01/23/2012.
- Leslie will give Luke an update prior to the next meeting. Trying to bring more Latino nurses into Mental Health field.
B. Goals 2012
Community Advisory Board for Study
- Therapy based on Behavioral Activation for Latinos with Depression is complete.
- Currently, collecting post therapy information to be completed by July 2012. Some participants have not returned for follow up.
- Need a large poster.
- Need more calls.
- Sylvia disseminated information about Warmline and educated a new nurse added to PCS and reminded those in respite that this is available.
- Business cards might be a development. Sylvia will put together a sample business card this weekend.
- Will update the marketing materials.
Speaker’s Bureau Update:
- Review the copies of materials the Martina distributed and get Luke updates. Want to have bios and materials available on the web site by March 2012.
- Get edits, forms and bios to Luke by January 31st.
- Martina agreed to coordinate the Speaker’s Bureau. If you don’t want to speak publicly, you don’t have to sign-up.
- 2012 Action Plan for www.bienestarmilwaukee.com will be developed by Trishla, Luke, and Leslie by March meeting for discussion with rest of group.
Next meeting: Thursday, February 16, 2012 from 9:00-10:30am, Disability Rights WI (NEW LOCATION FOR 2012)
Minutes completed and submitted by Trishla Shah.
The mission of the Milwaukee Latino Health Coalition is to improve the health and well-being of Latino communities by organizing power for social change.