November 17, 2011
Mental Health Action Team
Time of Meeting: 9:00am-10:30am
Location of Meeting: Center for Urban Population Health-Community Education Room
Present: Gabriela Dieguez (SSCHC), Luke Waldo (Children’s Hospital), Sylvia Cortez (MCMH), Katherine Valentyn (CSS),Trishla Shah (DRW), Ursula Flores (TLS), & Martina Gollin-Graves (MHAW).
Approval of previous meeting minutes (Motion by Trishla, Gabriela & Kathryn). Kathryn requested clarification surrounding the Jeanette Arellano’s announcement regarding UCC Support Services.
- Holiday dinner- MHAT members to meet at El Beso Restaurant on 12/08/11 @ 6pm.
- MHAT Meetings in 2012 to be held at Disability Rights of WI office. Trishla will send out email with parking instructions.
- Milwaukee County Behavioral Health Crisis Walk-in Clinic (CWIC) has instituted a new policy regarding how patients are to be seen. One of the many positive changes made is that there is no longer a limit on the number of new patients that can be seen in a day. The clinic has also changed its name to “Access clinic”. Martina inquired as to the funding cap of #250 new patients that can be seen? Sylvia will inquire about this data and report back with any information.
- Martina will obtain a list of resources in Waukesha and Racine that can be provided to the Spanish WARMLINE Staff.
B. MHA Resource Card
- Discussed resources listed in the Resource Guide vs. the Resource Card. Further confirmation is needed regarding the following resources to determine if they should be added/kept . Volunteers for follow up are listed below:
- Sylvia: Community Advocates and Dept. on Aging
- Gabriela: MU Dental Clinic and Boys/Girls Club, Easter Seals, GoodWill, Mental Health Services, Pathways Counseling Center
- Ursula: Journey House, CRC Health Corp., Recovery Network
- Trishla: Achievement Associates
- Martina: Recovery Network, Genesis (AODA)
- Luke: Sebastian Family Psychology Practice
C. Review of 2011 Goals/Proposal of 2012 Goals
- We have successfully accomplished three Goals for the 2011 year. Great work!!
- By Dec 31, 2011, we will provide ongoing support for WarmLine in Spanish by: being present for ongoing trainings, participating in monthly meetings with the “warmies”, recruiting more Spanish-speakers to participate in subsequent trainings.
- By Dec 31, 2011, we will build accedss to mental health support services in the community by: promoting mivoz.com and bienestarmilwaukee.com, printing and distributing more MHA resource cards, updating and maintaining the resources we promote, maintaining communication with Mental Health America of Wisconsin.
- By July 2012, we will provide guidance and recommendations to the Community Based Behavioral Activation for Latinos with Depression project.
- The team discussed whether to extend the following two 2011 goals for the year 2012 :
- We will find funding and air radio shows on LaGranD radio on the topic of mental health.
- We will establish and market a speakers’ bureau for Latino mental health advocacy in Milwaukee.
- Further discussion and input from all team members is needed before a final decision can be made.
- Kathryn pointed out that perhaps this particular goal (La GranD) needs to be broken down into smaller parts so that the team can focus on what can reasonably be achieve with respect to funding vs. a radio show. Sylvia offered the idea of utilizing LaGranD Radio as more of mechanism for advertisement of the Spanish WarmLine.
- In terms of the Speaker’s bureau, Martina indicated that perhaps we can incorporate this idea into the existing need for volunteers to conduct presentations on mental heath topics via Mental Health America.
- An established goal for 2012 is for all members to be able to coordinate their schedules and volunteer for projects through an Internet calendar.
Next MHAT Meeting: Thursday, December 15, 2011 from 9:00am-10:30am at CUPH
Minutes submitted by: Sylvia Cortez
The mission of the Milwaukee Latino Health Coalition is to improve the health and well-being of Latino communities by organizing power for social change.