July 21, 2011
Mental Health Action Team
Time of Meeting: 9:00am-10:30am
Location of Meeting: Center for Urban Population Health-Community Education Room
Present: Luke Waldo; Sylvia Cortez (Mke Co Behavioral Health Division); Melissa Waldo (SSCHC); Lindsay Schaaf (La Causa); Ursula Flores (Transitional Living Services); Trishla Shah (DRW); Martina Gollins-Grave (MHA); Leslie Davis (Walker’s Point)
Approval of minutes from last meeting on 6-16-11 (Motion by Sylvia Cortez and Trishla Shah). Change to be made, clarifying that Warmline started on July 10th, 2011.
- Trishla Shah will take minutes at next meeting on August 18th.
- Trishla Shah and Martina Gollins-Graves will attend Hispanic Chamber of Commerce luncheon on September 14th.
- MHA has moved to 600 W. Virginia. There will be an open house with a silent auction on Tuesday, July 26th from 5-7pm.
- MHA is hosting a Suicide Prevention Training – a train the trainer event – with a focus on how to recognize warning signs. Seeking professionals who especially work with Latina youth, LGBT youth, and elderly. The 8-hour training will be held on September 16th, 2011. There is a cost of $395, but scholarships are available.
B. Open House / Forum Evaluation:
- Constructive feedback was offered about the MLHC open house with Milwaukee Health Commissioner Bevan Baker. Several attendees commented that the beginning of the forum was ill-prepared with an insufficient number of chairs set up for attendees and script-reading from MLHC steering committee member.
- Commissioner Baker, in conjunction with MLHC, seems engaged to continue advocacy on issues related to Latino health. He will continue to address questions/issues raised at the forum.
- WarmLine officially kicked off its Spanish-speaking support line on Sunday, July 10th and has been staffed for two Sunday evenings (July 10 and July 17). Though the Spanish-speaking consumer/peer advocates have not had any calls yet, they remain fully engaged and enthusiastic.
- Another training will begin on August 2nd, running every Tuesday in August from 6-8:30pm. Leslie Davis is working to get MATC interpreter services at training.
- Leslie Davis and Gabriela Dieguez have been recruiting potential new candidates for the peer support role, and interviews will be conducted with Lyn Malofsky of Warmline on Saturday, July 23rd. Melissa Waldo will be present to serve as an interpreter between the monolingual Spanish-speakers and English-speaker Lyn.
- An MHAT member has volunteered to attend one of the five August trainings either to assist with interpretation and/or simply to support.
- Sylvia Cortez will be present at August 2nd training
- Melissa Waldo will be present at August 9th training
- Leslie Davis will be present at August 16th training
- Ursula Flores will be present at August 23rd training
- Trishla Shah will be present at August 30th training
D. Upcoming Events and Sign-Up
- MHAT members have previously volunteered to manage a mental health/emotional wellbeing table at Fiesta Mexicana on August 26th-28th.
- The table is to be stocked with mental health and emotional wellbeing literature. MHA has a listing of numerous links to such resources, and the Mental Health Action team elected the most appropriate six to be distributed at the event. In addition to these six, Leslie Davis will print copies of two other useful articles related to PTSD and depression in men. 100 copies will initially be made of each article, and more will be printed as needed.
- Other things to possibly bring to the event:
- posters that highlight depression/anxiety and emotional wellbeing (postersto be created by consumer and paid by MLHC funds if possible).
- an MLHC banner
- MHA tote bags
- paper dividers (to stack mental health/emotional wellbeing literature)
- MLHC resource cards
- Warmline fliers
Milwaukee Street Soccer
- Due to severe heat, the Milwaukee Street Soccer event has been postponed from the weekend of July 23rd and 24th to a to-be-determined date in September.
E. 2011 Goals and Objectives
- Due to the number of agenda items and current projects to be addressed by MHAT members, a potential meeting with Dr. Kanter and Dr. Santiago to discuss the UWM/SSCHC Depression Study will be postponed until after the August meeting.
- Luke Waldo will create an interactive MHAT calendar (i.e. Google calendar) so that all current and future participation at and commitments to events can be better documented and managed.
- Those originally thought to help with training for bienestarmilwaukee webpage updating and maintenance are not able to. Perhaps a brief training can be arranged with Sherry Ohly and Stephanie Calloway to train both Trishla Shah and Leslie Davis.
- Those that cannot access Atrium to enter a brief professional bio for a Speakers Bureau are asked to type a bio and send it to Luke Waldo.
- It was suggested that a discussion on financial sustainability of MLHC and/or MHAT be added to next month’s agenda. There is a possible funding option with the Charles E. Kubly Foundation.
Next MHAT Meeting: Thursday August 18, 2011 from 9:00am-10:30am at CUPH – Community Education Room
Minutes submitted by Melissa Waldo
The mission of the Milwaukee Latino Health Coalition is to improve the health and well being of Latino communities by organizing power for social change.