June 16th, 2011
Mental Health Action Team
Time of Meeting: 9:00am-10:30am
Location of Meeting: Center for Urban Population Health-Community Education Room
Present: Luke Waldo (SFPC), Sylvia Cortez (Milwaukee County Behavioral Health Division), Gabriela Dieguez (SSCHC), Ursula Flores (Transitional Living Services, Inc.), Martina Gollins-Graves (MHA), Melissa Waldo (SSCHC), Becca Sniderman (Consumer Advocate), Lindsey Schaaf (La Causa), Lauren Haack (Marquette University), Alyson C. Gerdes, Ph.D (Marquette University- Psychology Department)
Approval of previous meeting minutes (Motion by Sylvia Cortez and Gabriela Dieguez), with change of association for Becca Sniderman to Consumer Advocate versus Warmline.
- Ursula Flores and Trishla Shah will be attending the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce luncheon July 10th, 2011.
- Funds from the Shaken Baby Grant Campaign have been given to the Team to place promotions on the website. Andrew from IT department of the Center of Population Health will provide training for bienestarmilwaukee.com. Trishla has volunteered to meet with Andrew to participate in the training for this. This is in support to our ultimate goal of increasing community awareness, with an aesthetically pleasing website.
- Ursula Flores has accepted a position within the TLS agency as a Community Living Coordinator, but will still be the Crisis Resource Center’s contact.
- Becca Sniderman would like to donate to the Spanish Warmline project, this is greatly appreciated.
- Martina Gollin-Graves was present for the MHTF meeting earlier this month and reported that Paula Lucy is creating a governing board. Martina pushed for diversity at the presentation of this governing board, and will keep the Coalition Team informed of any developments.
B. Warmline Status
- Leslie Davis, Gabriela Dieguez, and Sylvia Cortez and Jim Kubicek met with the Warmline board. The official start date of the Spanish Warmline will be 6/26/11. There will be an interpreter and we are waiting to confirm this with Lynn. Becca is still willing to assist, as needed. Warmline and the Team will continue to recruit Warmies and an additional training will take place August. Spanish Warmies will be available Sunday evenings to take calls. Gabriela will let us know the telephone number and information of start date should it change.
C. Upcoming Events
- MLHC’s new home is at the Council for the Spanish Speaking, and MLHC has scheduled an open house for July 19th, 2011. MLHC will host a forum with Mayor Barrett geared to address dealing with budget cuts and the effects to the Latino Community. Interested parties are encouraged to draft questions and to send information as soon as possible. The Coalition is also seeking volunteers to help. Luke will email an action plan and a task list for volunteers.
- The Team has been asked to volunteer at the table at Mexican Fiesta August 26th -28th. We would like to provide mental health and diabetes information, along with agency information. A sign-up sheet was rotated.
- Juan Carlos Ruiz has coordinated Milwaukee Street Soccer, which will be held July 23rd & 24th. There will be 10 tents and 10 food vendors with different cultural foods. There will also be a child area, salsa and merengue competitions, and health tents with ride incentives for visiting. The site for additional information is Milwaukeestreetsoccer.com. Please inquire with Luke Waldo for any additional information, team materials and/or to volunteer.
- Alyson Gerdes, Ph.D of Marquette University Latino Family Initiative, Child ADHD Clinic, came to present to the Team. She comes to ask our support and potential referrals to her research, which is geared to find the culturally appropriate way of identifying ADHD. She is in need of 50 parents to complete measures. There will be bilingual services provided as needed, and each family will receive the incentive of a $20 gift card for their initial participation and $5 for the 2 additional measures. Allyson looks forward to coordinating this and receiving referrals to continue this study.
D. 2011 Objectives & Goals
- Goals were reviewed, the following was discussed:
- Spanish Warmline has become more and more exciting, as it will be approaching soon.
- Print updated resource cards, with accurate information.
- Radio shows- Gabriela proposed we solicit community members to call or petition and request a health show. A petition will be created and be at the Mexican fiesta table and street soccer.
- We would like to market people to give presentations and to represent us and mental health providers. In doing so, each member will have completed their bio’s on atrium by next meeting. Luke will send out presentations.
- To promote and to share the work and community efforts of the Team, it was suggested that we begin to do some social networking, and have a contact person to do maintenance. Luke Waldo will work with Stephanie Calloway to work on this.
Next MHAT Meeting: Thursday July 21st, 2011 from 9:00am-10:30am at CUPH – Community Education Room
Minutes submitted by Ursula Flores
The mission of the Milwaukee Latino Health Coalition is to improve the health and well being of Latino communities by organizing power for social change.