March 17, 2011
Mental Health Action Team
Time of Meeting: 9:00am-10:30am
Location of Meeting: Center for Urban Population Health-Community Education Room
Present: Gabriela Dieguez (SSCHC), Lindsay Schaaf (La Causa), Leslie Davis (Walker’sPoint), Luke Waldo (SFPC), Sylvia Cortez (MMHC), Adriana Rodriguez (NAMI), Ana Paula Soares (Proyecto Salud), Katherine Valentyn (CSS), Melissa Waldo (SSCHC), Naree Thao (MU Grad student), Ernesto Lira (UWM Student/Walker’s Point), Julia Lechuga (MCW)
Approval of previous meeting minutes (Motion by Leslie)
- Julia volunteered to take Minutes at next meeting April 21, 2011.
- Julia volunteered to attend the next Hispanic Chamber of Commerce meeting scheduled to take place on May 11th (the HCC meets the 2nd Wed. of each month).
- Jewish Social Services-depression series tabled to MLHC April meeting.
- Cleaner Valley Coalition started a petition drive. Please help support their efforts by gathering signatures for the petition. The Cleaner Valley Coalition will also attend the WE Energies shareholders meeting on May 12th 2011.
- April will be the last meeting that Katherine will attend as the Leader of the MHAT. Many expressed their sincere appreciation for all of the hard work, patience and dedication Katherine has put forth over the years. Please consider becoming a co-leader. The commitment is two years. After the two years, the co-leader conceivably takes over as the lead facilitator. Contact Luke if you have any questions or are interested in the position.
- Ernesto (UWM student/Walker’s Point) informed the group of a FREE performance entitled the “Latino Monologues” held at UWM on 4/14/11 at 6:30pm. There will be a resource table placed at the event. Money left over may be utilized to print additional MHAT bookmarks! Sylvia will contact Ursula to obtain the name of the last printer .
- Leslie expressed her ongoing concern with both the police and other criminal justice officials regarding the unfair and biased treatment of some illegal immigrants. Leslie shared two separate incidences where a reported assault was never investigated and of an individual who was held in police custody beyond the statutory 72 hour period. Leslie would like everyone to be vigilant and advocate for equal treatment of the law.
- Luke encouraged participation at the Unsung Heroes Award celebration to be held at Hotwater Wherehouse — Date: 4/06/2011 Time: 5:30pm – 8:30pm. The award is given to individuals who have worked on the issue of sexual abuse in the Latino community. Please RSVP to Jennifer Ward at (414) 671-6836 .
- Adriana: Don’t forget the 18th is the last day to RSVP for the NAMI KICK-OFF luncheon.
Where: The War Memorial (Memorial Hall) 750 N. Lincoln Mercurial Drive
Date: Thursday, March 24th Time: 12 – 1:30pm
*Parking has been prepaid by NAMI for the surface lot on the North side of the War Memorial. A free lunch buffet will be provided. RSVP – 344-0447 or zachq@namigrm.
D. Proposals from Ana Paula Soares
- News Letter Gazeta- Can we add the MHAT bookmark to the news letter?
- There is an opportunity for money to be set aside for printing of additional MHAT bookmarks from the “Shaken Baby Syndrome” grant.
- Radio message focusing on mental health. Can we use the crisis line to access the Spanish hotline? Should we include both 800 numbers?
- Can the bienestarmilw.com link be added to ???
- Adriana will inquire if a “friend” can develop the web site.
- Julia will follow up……..??
- Ana, Julia and Adriana will email Leslie with updates.
E. Warmline Update
- Leslie shared the issue of having a Spanish- speaking supervisor to provide guidance/support to the newly trained Warmline staff. Below are some brainstorm ideas to be considered and followed up with Lynn.
- Interpreter (possibly students) to sit in with the new staff.
- MHAT members to rotate being “on call” via phone.
- Leslie to speak with Lynn about “what is the role of the supervisor”.
- Rather than give up on the Spanish Warmline via the County, lets determine if Lynn/Becca are receptive to a “trial period” .
- Sylvia will speak with the current (English-speaking) Warmline staff to obtain data on how current non-English calls to Warmline are handled. Sylvia will also seek ideas/suggestions as to how to best implement the inclusion of the Spanish Warmline staff.
Next MHAT Meeting: Thursday April 21, 2011 from 9:00am-10:30am at CUPH – Community Education Room
Minutes submitted by Sylvia Cortez
The mission of the Milwaukee Latino Health Coalition is to improve the health and well being of Latino communities by organizing power for social change.
Fatal error: Call to undefined function dbem_is_events_page() in /home/mlhc/public_html/wp-content/themes/mlhc/page.php on line 8