Immigration Action Team
To confront and alleviate the negative impact immigration policies have on the health of Milwaukee Latinos through:
- Advocating for and supporting policy change that affects the health of Latino immigrants
- Educating on immigration as a health issue, with an emphasis on social determinants of health
- Promoting advocacy and lobbying by MLHC members
- Integrating community voice into the work of this team
- Create a “gaceta” highlighting the work of health promoters and various immigration topics.
- Develop a “Know Your Rights” campaign geared toward undocumented immigrants using Theater of the Oppressed methodology.
- Work with the University of Wisconsin System to streamline the enrollment of resident immigrant students under the new in-state tuition legislation.
- Work with area high schools and other community venues to inform them on issues regarding higher education for immigrant students.
- Partner with the Wisconsin Public Health Association to create a seminar informing on non-profit lobbying and advocacy.
Contact Information for Co-Chairs
- Raisa Koltun, 414-213-4986, email@example.com
- Sherri Ohly, 414-384-2673 x22, firstname.lastname@example.org